AOSP Android Pie ROM
Google has uploaded Android Pie’s source code to AOSP last week after the roll-out of official updates for the Google Pixel/XL and the Google Pixel 2/XL. So the development community could now start its work on porting Android Pie. Thanks to the XDA Dev team who have provided Android Pie ROM for Oneplus One. Yes, 4 years old device tastes Android Pie before many of the recent devices. Let us see how to install Android Pie on Oneplus one.
Table of Contents
- Make sure your battery is more than 65%
- Remove any lock screen security set up like finger print authorization or pass code.
- A PC and a standard USB cable.
- Install ADB and fastboot in your PC ( Here is the simple guide to install ADB and fastboot)
- Download and Install ADB and fastboot in your PC ( Here is the simple guide to install ADB and fastboot)
- Download the latest TWRP recovery (Mirror) image file in your PC and rename it as twrp.img for easier access. Move this file to the same folder where you’ve installed ADB and fast boot
- Download the Android Pie ROM in your PC
- Download the latest GApps in your PC
- Finally,Download Android Pie launcher APK
Once the download completes, let us proceed :)
We need to unlock bootloader before installing TWRP. Follow the below step by step process to unlock bootloader of your oneplus one smartphone.
Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
- Open settings in your device
- click the About phone Options, In Android O its hidden under system options
- click on build number options 5-7 times to enable developer mode, You will get a message its enabled.
- Now in main settings screen we can see Developer options.
- Go to settings–> developer option in your device and enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging. Below are the sample images where you can find both options. Below are the screenshots for reference.
Unlock bootloader and installing TWRP
- Move the downloaded TWRP recovery image in the same folder where you’ve installed ADB and fastboot as mentioned in the prerequisites
- Rename the recover image file to twrp.img for easier access
- Now press SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder and Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ from the right click menu that appears. If your PC running on windows 10 the option will “Open command window here”
- A command prompt window shall open on your PC now.
- Now Connect your device to your PC with the standard USB cable and Change the USB connection mode to “file transfer (MTP)” mode
- Now run the following command in the command prompt to boot your device into fastboot mode
- Now execute the following command in the command prompt. This will display the devices that are connected to the PC
- Then execute the below command in the command prompt to unlock your bootloader.
- Now you may get a pop up in your phone about unlocking the boot loader. Choose Yes by pressing Volume Up and press the Power Button.
Your bootloader is unlocked now. Now let us install TWRP on your device
- Run the below command now in the command prompt to install twrp
- This will start install TWRP recovery in your device.
How to install Android Pie
- Once the process is completed, Press and hold the Power and volume down button together and type the below command to reboot your device to reboot into recovery mode
- Your phone will start boot into recovery mode .
- Select “English” as your language , choose “Advanced” in the next screen and select “Reboot to recovery” in your next screen.
You will see TWRP screen as below
- In TWRP Home page Select “Wipe” > “Advanced Wipe”
- Select “Dalvik/ART Cache”, “System”, “Data”, and “cache” check boxes
- Swipe to the right to confirm flash.
Flash Android Pie
- Go back to TWRP Home page in your device
- Tap on “Install”, browse and select the downloaded ROM and swipe to confirm flash.
This will start installing Android Pie based Nitrogen OS. Once the process is completed, go back to home page and install the GApps in the same way.
- Go back to TWRP Home page in your device
- Tap on “Install”, browse and select the downloaded GApps package and swipe to confirm flash.
That is it, finally reboot your device from the TWRP home page. TWRP -> Reboot -> System.
Now your device will boot into android Pie. The first boot will take some time which is expected.
Finally install the downloaded Android P launcher apk.
Enable Developer Options again and set system animations from 1x to 0.5x to speed your device!