It all started with Xiaomi’s Redmi 1S which was launched at a killer pricr Rs.5999. The specifications and look at this price attracted indian smartphones users towards Xioami and from then Xioami is one of the top brand in India. Recently Xiamoi hinted about another budget Redmi phone woth dual camera.
There were several leaks and we have got one of the official images as well. In the recent teaser Xioami claims that it’s upcoming budhet smartphone Redmi S2 is the best selfie Redmi phone. The smartphone is all set to debut on May 10th in China. Additionally , an internal version od Redmi S2 is already listed in ali express. This ckears that Xiaomi will export the smartphone to other countries including India.
Redmi note 5 pro and Mi A1 are the most preferred smartphones in midrange market. One of the main reason of the success of these 2 devices is they both sport with dual camera . The second rear camera support portrait mode which is the recent trend. Now Xioami launches budget smartphone Redmi S2 with dual camera.
When Mi A1 is out of stock which hinted Mi A2 release, users are finding very difficult in buying Redmi note 5 pro in flash sale. Both of the devices are mid range smartphones. Dual camera with portrait mode is still a dream for budget smartphone users. Well Xiamoi has spotted it and it’s targeting budget smartphone users as well as mid range smart phone users in it’s new device Redmi S2.
The company has listed it’s new device in the TENAA. As per the listing, the device comes with a whopping 6 inch screen , comes with 3 Storage/RAM Variants and 9 color options. So budget user may prefer get 2GB + 16 GB variant with dual camera setup and mid range users can prefer the 4GB + 64 GB variant, hence the purpose is served. We’ll see the other specifications what we’ve got from the listing below.
Please note that below specifications are as per the leaked listing details. The same is yet to be officially confirmed by the company.
When Xiaomi claims that this will be the best selfie Redmi phone, it hints that S2 will have 16 MP selfie cam with AI beauty and AI portrait mode. AI portrait mode is one of the first feature in budget phones.
- 6 inch hd (1440×720) display with 18:9 aspect ratio
- Qualcomm snapdragon 625 processor (msm8953)
- Adreno 506 GPU
- RAM/Memory: 2GB/16GB , 3GB/32 GB, 4GB/64 GB.
- Android 8.0 Oreo based MIUI 9
- 12 MP + 5MP rear camera that supports portrait mode.
- Cameras will have AI assisstance for better image.
- 16 MP Front camera with flash
- Supports face unlock.
- Color options: White, Silver, Gray, Black,Rose Gold, Gold, Blue, Red, and Pink
- 3000(or 3100) mAh battery
- No information about micro sd card slot but we believe it will have hybrid sim slot that supports micro SD Card.
- Though the price isn’t revelaed yet, we may expect the price ranges from Rs. 8,999 , Rs.10,999 and Rs.12,999 for the 2 GB/16 GB, 3 GB/32 GB and 4Gb/64 GB variants.
What could have been better in Redmi S2:
Xioami is trying to give budget mobile users a taste of mid range smart phone with its 6 inch screen and dual camera specification. But there are still a very few worrying points.
- 720p Resolution which is not a full HD and for 6 inch screen, we may see ppi will be very less which results in bigger size of icons.
- 6 inch smartphone could have come with at least 3400 mAh battery.
Apart from the above 2 points, we really believe that this is a perfect budget device. if you do not want to spend more on Redmi note 5 pro, you can definitely consider this option.
For mid range buyers if you want to know how different is this ine from Redmi note 5 pro , here it is.
Redmi S2 vs Redmi note 5 pro:
Here are some of the key differences between Redmi S2 vs Redmi note 5 pre. Please note that the screen resolution is something which we have to double confirm again, as 720p screen resolution is average one.
|Redmi S2||Redmi note 5 pro|
|Front Camera||16 MP||20 MP|
|Processor||Snapdragon 625||snapdragon 636|
|Battery||3000 mAh||4000 mAh|
|Screen||1440×720||2160 x 1080 FHD|
|RAM||2 / 3 / 4 GB||4 / 6 GB|
Xiaomi is all set to launch Redmi S2 on May 10th in China. Stay tuned for more updates.