All the Android smartphones will come with locked bootloader and a default recovery. To install any custom recovery or to root any device the primary thing to do is unlocking bootloader. The process to unlock bootloader is similar for all smart phones with a slight differences in execution.
To explore your device, this is the first thing to do and here we’ll see the step by step guide to unlock your boot loader.
Warning: You cannot unlock bootloader for any Smartphones that comes with any carriers like Sprint, Verizon etc.
Table of Contents
- Make sure your battery is more than 65%
- Remove any lock screen security set up like finger print authorization or pass code.
- Install ADB and fastboot in your PC ( Here is the simple guide to install ADB and fastboot)
- All you need is a PC and a standard USB cable to connect your smart phone to your PC
Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
- In your device, go to About phone and tap on Build number for few time. This will enable Developer options.
- Go to settings–> developer option in your device and enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging. Below are the sample images where you can find both options.
For LG Smartphones
Unlocking Bootloader in LG Smartphones isn’t straight forward. You need to generate the key to unlock the bootloader. LG Itself has provided a guide to unlock bootloader. Follow this guide and let us know in comments if you are stuck
For Mi/Redmi mobile:
Mi and Redmi moblies has different process to unlock bootloader. If you are looking to unlock boot loader in M or Redmi smart phones, please follow the steps below after enabling USB debugging and OEM unlocking.
Step 1. Go to Mi’s official site , sign in with your Mi Account and download(Click to download) Mi Unlock app
Step 2. Shut down your phone manually. Now hold the Volume down key and Power button to enter Fastboot mode
Step 3. Then connect your phone to PC using standard USB cable
Step 4: click “Unlock” in the app
That is it. This app permits you to unlock your Mi/Redmi phone’s bootloader.
For Huawei Smartphones
Similar to Xiaomi, Huawei needs an extra step to unlock bootloader. You need to register in thier site, generate the key for your device and use that key to unlock your bootloader. Let us see how to do it
- Open your Phone dialler and press *#06#. This will display your IMEI number. You may see 2 numbers if your device has dual sim support. Write down any one of them
- Now go to the Huewei Official webiste (click here) to get the unlock code.
- Register and login to your account, You will see a similar form like below, Enter your details and click submit.
- Upon Submitting, you’ll get your key in a pop up, note it down. Now contine to OEM Unlocking process
For Other Smartphones
Any other smartphones other than Mi/Redmi mobiles have the similar porcess. Just follow the below steps to unlock bootloader after enabling USB debugging and OEM unlock as mentiond above
- Make sure you have installed Fastboot in your PC. Here is the simple guide to install fastboot
- Now turn off your device.
- Once the device is completely turned off, press and hold voume down+power button at the same time. (If you are using Samsung smartphone , you should press and hold VOLUME up + BIXBY + POWER buttons)
- This will boot your phone into fastboot mode.
- Now connect your phone to your PC with the standard usb cable and wait till the phone is detected
- Go to the folder where Fast boot is installed.
- Open command prompt and move to the directory where you installed ADB or press SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder and Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ from the right click menu that appears. If your PC running on windows 10 the option will “Open command window here”
- A PowerShell window shall open on your PC.
- Type the below command in the console after connecting your device to the PC. This will boot your device in fastboot
- Now type the below command in your command prompt.
- Now type the below command in the prompt to unlock your devices’s bootloader.
- If you are tryng to unlock Huewei devices, you may need to add the key at the end of the command. Use the below command to unlock your huewei smartphone’s bootloader.
- You can use below command to confirm whether you have unlocekd your bootloader successfully.
- Final step in the process is you have to reboot the device using below command
If you see true for “device unlocked” row in the command prompt , then congratulations you’ve successfully unlocked your bootloader :).
What you are waiting for, Check out simple guide here to install TWRP custom recovery for your smartphone ,
If you are struck , or if you need any help, kindly drop us a comment.