Mi A1 is undoubtedly the best budget Android One smartphone from Xiaomi. When Android P is already on the cards, there is no official update from the company yet. Rooting your device will stop the further OTA updates. Here we’ll see the step by step process on how to root Mi A1 without disturbing the OTA updates, Thanks to XDA devolper Jashen Cheema. Means you’ll receive OTA updates even after rooting your smartphone.
If you do not want OTA updates and want to root your device using TWRP, please follow our guide here.
Caution: Before proceeding, make sure that you’ve taken the complete back up of your device incuding media and contacts.
What we are going to do here
- Unlock Bootloader
- Install magisk manager
- Fastboot with patched boot.
- Backup your data as this process will wipe out all your data.
- Make sure your battery is more than 65%
- Remove any lock screen security set up like finger print authorization or pass code.
- Install fastboot in your PC ( Here is the simple guide to install fastboot)
- Download and install the latest Magisk Manager from here in your device
- Download July(8.1) patched img from here in your pc and keep it handy.
Let’s Proceed. Please follow the below steps in order and let us know your feedback in comments.
Steps to follow:
- Download and install the latest version of Magisk Manager apk from here in your Mi A1 smartphone.
- In your device, go to About phone and tap on Build number for few time. This will enable Developer options.
- Go to settings–> developer option in your device and enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging. Below are the sample images where you can find both options.
- As informed earlier, Download July(8.1) patched img from here in your PC.
- Make sure Fastboot is installed in your PC. Here is the simple guide to install fastboot
- Extract the downloaded img and move it to the fastboot folder.
- Now turn off your device.
- Once the device is completely turned off, press and hold voume down+power button at the same time. This will boot your phone into fastboot
- Now connect your phone to your PC with the standard usb cable and wait till the phone is detected
- Go to the folder where Fast boot is installed.
- Now press SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder and Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ from the right click menu that appears. If your PC running on windows 10 the option will “Open command window here”
- A PowerShell window shall open on your PC.
- Now type the below command in the prompt to unlock your bootloader.
- You can use below command to confirm whether the bootloader is unlocked.
- Now type the below command in the fast boot prompt.
Note: if your PC is running on Mac or Linux, you have to add “./” in front of the above commands
- Wait till the flashing is completed. Once the process is completed, your device will be rebooted.
- If your phone is rebooted successfully, then please ignore this and proceed to the next process “Installing Magisk”. If not
- Disconnect your device from the PC
- Press and hold voume down+power button at the same time to boot into recover mode
- Connect your device with the PC via standard usb cable and wait till your phone is detected.
- Now run the below command in your fastboot terminal.
- Try flashing the device with the same command as mentioned in the step 1.
- If it doesn’t boot into recovery mode , it means both the times only slot B was active. So Now follow the same process ans activate the Slot A using below command and try flashing the device again. This time it should work
- Now open the Magisk Manager app which your have installed earlier in your device.
- Click on Install button
- Select the Direct Install
- A prompt will open and show the log details. Once you see the as process completed in the log click on Reboot.
Below are the screenshots of the step by step process. Click to enlarge.
That is it. You’ve rooted your Mi A1. Final process is maek sure your device do not install OTA updates automatically. Disable the OTA Updates in your developer settings as below.
So what if OTA arrives? How to download in your device. Follow the detailed instruction here to download the OTA updates.
Here is the official forum of Mi A1. you can get more details in this forum.