If you are not aware of TWRP, TWRP stands for Team Win Recovery Project. This is an open source android recovery tool. All the android devices will have a pre-installed recovery. But it comes with the limitations whereas using TWRP you have complete access to your phones. There are many TWRP features and here are the top features.
- Install custom ROM on your Android device
- A clean Format or Flash your device
- Take a complete back up of your device and restore it later
- Installing the manufacturer update though it hasn’t released officially in your country.
Steps to install TWRP recovery is same in almost all the Android devices. Let’s see a simple guide on how to install TWRP recovery in your android smartphone.
- Make sure your battery is more than 65%
- Remove any lock screen security set up like finger print authorization or pass code.
- A PC and a standard USB cable.
- Install ADB and fastboot in your PC ( Here is the simple guide to install ADB and fastboot)
- Search the TWRP recovery image for your device here and download in your PC.
You have to enable USB debugging option in your smart phone. Let’s see how to do it.
How to enable USB Debugging:
Steps to enable USB debugging option is more or less same in all the android smartphones.
- In your device, go to About phone and tap on Build number for few time. This will enable Developer options.
- Go to settings–> developer option in your device and enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging. Below are the sample images where you can find both options. Below are the screenshots for reference.
How to install TWRP Recovery:
Once you are done with the above steps, then you are almost done. Only a few steps are pending. LET’s Go.
- Connect your smartphone to the pc with a standard USB cable and wait till your phone is detected.
- Move the downloaded TWRP recovery image in the same folder where you’ve installed ADB and fasboot
- Rename the recover image file to twrp.img for easier access
- Now press SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder and Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ from the right click menu that appears. If your PC running on windows 10 the option will “Open command window here”
- A command prompt window shall open on your PC now.
- Now type the below command in the command prompt to boot your device into fastboot mode
- Your device will boot into fastboot now. Now type the below command to install the TWRP recovery
- Once the installation completes, reboot your device using below command.
That is it. Now you’ve successfully installed TWRP in your smartphone.
Booting into Recovery mode
To boot into recovery most of the devices follow the similar process. You need to Press and hold the volume down and power button. The button combination may vary as per the manufacturers and model numbers Below are the few exceptions.
- For Latest Samsung smartphone with bixby button,you need to press and hold volume down, bixby and power button at the same time till Samsung logo appears. If your Samsung smartphone doesnt have bixby button, You need to press and hold Volume down +
- For Asus mobiles, Press and hold Volume up and power button at the same time to boot into Recovery mode
- If you are using HTC Device, you habe to Press and hold, Volume down , power and home button
- For Lenovo devices, Press and hold volume up and volume down and connect USB cable to your PC. If it doesn’t work, try Voulme up + Power button combination
- For LG Devices press a s hold Volume Down + Power until the LG logo appears, then release Power for a second and hold it again till recovery comes up.
- If you are using Sony Smartphones, You just need to connect your device to your PC by holding volume up button
Struck some where? Please let us know in comments.
Please note that a high level steps will be provided in the official TWRP site itself where you’ll download the recovery image.
Installing any official updates will removes root and also replaces your custom recovery with the stock recovery. So you may need to reinstall TWRP again.
The best way to get a new update onto your device without affecting TWRP is ,simply wait for a couple of days for ROM makers for your device to come up with ROMs that are based on the new update that you can safely and easily install. These ROMS will be available in XDA forums.