Xiaomi redefined the pricing of a flagship device with its new Poco F1 aka Pocophone. The pocophone has powerful hardware at a killer price. So why not we enjoy the full potential of the device with root access? Let us see how to install TWRP Recovery and root Poco F1.
Disclaimer: Rooting your device will void your warranty. We are not responsible in case of any unexpected things happened on your device.
Table of Contents
- Make sure your battery is more than 65%
- Remove any lock screen security set up like finger print authorization or pass code.
- A PC and a standard USB cable.
- Install ADB and fastboot in your PC ( Here is the simple guide to install ADB and fastboot)
- You need to unlock your bootloader before proceeding. Check here how to unlock bootloader for Xiaomi devices.
- Download TWRP recovery file for Poco F1, rename it to twrp.img and move it to the same folder where you have installed ADB and fastboot.
- Download Force Encryption disabler and Magisk file on your PC.
We have to enable “USB debugging” and “Unlock OEM” first to install twrp recovery. You have to re-enable them after unlocking bootloader.
How to enable USB Debugging:
- In your device, go to About phone and tap on Build number for few time. This will enable Developer options.
- Go to settings–> developer option in your device and enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging. Below are the sample images where you can find both options. Below are the screenshots for reference.
Once you are done with the above steps, let us proceed to unlock bootloader and install TWRP recovery.
- Connect your smartphone to the pc with a standard USB cable and wait till your phone is detected.
- Move the downloaded TWRP recovery image in the same folder where you’ve installed ADB and fastboot.
- Rename the recover image file to twrp.img for easier access
- Now press SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder and Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ from the right-click menu that appears. If your PC running on windows 10 the option will “Open command window here”
- A command prompt window shall open on your PC now.
- Now type the below command in your command prompt.
- Now type the below command in the command prompt to boot your device into fastboot mode
- Now type the below command in the prompt to unlock your devices’s bootloader.
- You can use below command to confirm whether you have unlocekd your bootloader successfully.
If you see true for “device unlocked” row in the command prompt , then congratulations you’ve successfully unlocked your bootloader :)
How to install TWRP Recovery
- When your device is in fastboot mode, type the below command to install the TWRP recovery
- Once the installation completes, reboot your device into TWRP using below command.
Now move the downloaded Force Encryption disabler to your smartphone
- Now Install Force Encryption disabler via TWRP. To do so, Tap on Install button on TWRP home, browse and select the downloaded Force Encryption disabler file and swipe to flash. Below is the reference image.
Now we are ready to root your POCO F1.
How to root pocophone
- Once your device booted into recovery, Tap on Wipe -> Format data-> Type Yes to factory reset your device.
- Now move the downloaded Magisk file to your smartphone
- Go back to your TWRP recovery home, tap on Install , browse and select the downloaded Magisk file and swipe to flash.
- Finally Go back to TWRP home, Reboot-> System to reboot your device.
Congratulations! You have successfully rooted your Poco F1. You can verify whether your device is rooted using Download and install the Root checker app from google play store and check whether you have root permission.
If you want to install Android Pie on your Pocophone right now, check out our simple guide here.