Google has uploaded Android Pie’s source code to AOSP last week after the roll-out of official updates for the Google Pixel/XL and the Google Pixel 2/XL. So the development community could now start its work on porting Android Pie. Samsung has announced it’s Android Pie update schedule. As per the schedule, Samsung S9 and S9+, may get Android Pie update on January,2019. But most of the times, updates were postponed from the initial schedules. So why wait for months when we already have Android Pie stable update for S9 and S9+. Here let us see how to install Android Pie on Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+
Note: Please note that this ROM is compatible only for Exynos variant sold outside U.S.
- Download and install the Odin flashing tool for Samsung Galaxy devices in your PC (Download)
- Download and install Samsung USB Drivers in your pc.
- Finally, Download and install DM-Verity and force encryption disabler in your PC.
- Download Android Pie AOSP 9.0 ROM (works for both S9 and S9+)
[Download the latest ARM64 A-only ROM from here]
- Download Android 9 Gapps
- Make sure your battery is more than 65%
- Remove any lock screen security set up like finger print authorization or pass code.
- Make sure you have taken the complete backup of your device including media and contacts.
- Make sure you’ve enabled USB Debugging and OEM Unlock (Follow this simple guide to if you haven’t enabled yet)
- You’ll need TWRP recovery. Here is the simple guide to download install TWRP Recovery on your S9/S9+
Once you’ve installed TWRP recovery, we’ll proceed to install Android Pie on your Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+.
How to install Android Pie
- Make sure you’ve downloaded the Android Pie AOSP 9.0 ROM and Android 9 Gapps as mentioned in downloads section.
- Extract the downloaded RPM to get the System image’s file
- Connect your Samsung S9/S9+ to your PC.
- Transfer the extracted system image and Gapps files to your Galaxy S9/S9+.
- Now reboot your device into recovery mode to access TWRP. To do so:
- If the above step dint work, try pressing only power and volume down button together for 5-7 seconds.
- In your TWRP recovery screen, tap on Wipe and then tap on Format Data option. Type yes on the next screen to confirm this.
- Now Go back to the TWRP recovery screen, tap the Wipe button again, and now swipe to do factory reset on the device.
- Meanwhile,Transfer the extracted system image and Gapps files to your Galaxy S9/S9+ from the PC.
- Go back to home screen of TWRP.
- Tap on the Install button.
- Browse and select the extracted image
- Select System Image option.
- Finally Swipe confirm the installation.
- This will install Android Pie in your S9/S9+. Let us install GApps to complere the process.
- Go back to TWRP home screen, tap on Install and now select the Gapps file and Swipe to confirm the installation
- Once installation completed, Go to TWRP home screen again and tap on Reboot.
That is it! Your device will boot into Android Pie now. First boot may take time which is expected behaviour.