Facebook Data Scandal:
Facebook has been in the headlines for quite some time. This is because of the data leak of 87 million FB users which might have been shared with the political consultancy Cambridge Analytica. This includes 5.67 Lakhs of Indian users.
Zuckerberg has accepted the blame for this issue and he feels that still he is the right person to head Facebook.
“When someone is building like Facebook, which has been first of the kind, things like this will happen and we have to learn from the mistake”. – he added.
Zuckerberg in the recent press meet said that there are no quick fixes for the data leak issues.
Well now, you’ve got to know that the information you provide online is never yours.
So you want to know what information Facebook knows about you? Get ready to be shocked.
Download your data from Facebook:
Well, at least user has this option in Facebook. There are no complex steps , it is very easy . You might have crossed the option number of times but haven’t noticed. Let’s find out.
Please note that you can download your data archive from Facebook only in web application (Desktop or Laptop). You cannot do in mobile/tablet app.
- Login to your Facebook account in desktop/laptop.
- Click on the small downward arrow which will be at the right top of the page next to the help button.
- Click on Settings lin
- At the bottom of the page under Manage Account option., you’ll see “Download a copy of your Facebook” button . Click on it
- Select “Start my archive” button. It’ll prompt for a password for security purpose. (Seriously????)
- It may take some time to gather all your data from it’s data servers. But you’ll get a mail shortly with the details to your registered mail id.
What’s included in your archive?
- Posts, photos and videos you’ve shared
- Your messages and chat conversations
- Info from the About section of your profile
Why you’ll be shocked:
When your whole life comes before your eyes in the files? That is what going to happen in the mail which FB sends you.
Starts with easae:
The file starts with the data right from the second you sign up with Facebook, which contains
- all your personal or public information
- the persons whom you’ve added as family members
- Placed you liked
- Groups which you are and were part of.
You’ll see a link to to check your friends.It’ll list all the friends in the order from oldest.
Then comes the first surprise/The list doesn’t only show your friends, it also shows
- your sent friend requests which isn’t accepted yet or declined.
- Friend requests which you have declined
- Friends whom you have removed and blocked after accepting.
- Your followers and whom you follow
Friends list are accepted , but in “Contact Info page” you’ll see hundreds of people whom you may never know, Their phone numbers are also listed. Many of them aren’t even in my age group. I have no idea how FB shows their information to me.
- All your photos from day 1 which you added or your friend tagged. Of course it started with awkward photos.
- All the videos which you’ve uploaded or tagged or shared. You can even play the video now.
- All your chat conversations including which you think you’ve removed. Facebook has archived them and you can see everything here,
Final Surprise :
Now comes to the interesting part. You want to know how Facebook earns millions and billions? Check it out.
Every ad you’ve clicked have been noted and saved in Facebook. Your clicks and reactions will be keep on recording and Facebook will find about your personality and interests based on these activities.
Now Facebook will charge their clients to display their ads to the people whose interest is actually matching with the client’s business.
Thus the clients will have more likes to their FB pages , more visits to their official sites and more earnings.
This is how Facebook earns from your secret. You can see these ads in Facebook as sponsored and Facebook is very keen that it will not annoy it’s users by pop up or separate ads. This will come as a news feed like you’re visiting your favourite page’s feeds.
You might wonder where are these actual ads and you may even feel as you never come cross one. well, that is facebook’s intelligence. one such ad is shared below.
Please share us in the comments about how do you feel now in Facebook.
Please like us in Facebook to not to miss any new tech updates or tricks.