Xiaomi has been busy in this year. Recently the company has launched Redmi S2 , Mi 8 and Mi 8i. Now the company is back with budget devices. Xiaomi launched Redmi 6 and Redmi 6A today in china.
Redmi 6 comes with 5.45 inch HD+ IPS display with 720 x 1440 resolution and 18:9 aspect ratio.
Instead of Snapdragon, the company has opted for MediaTek chipset. Redmi 6 is powered with 2 Ghz octa-core 12nm MediaTex Helio P22 chipset
Redmi 6 offers dual back camera – 12 MP + 5 MP and a 5 MP selfie camera. This is one of the very few devices that offers dual camera for a budget device.
Device comes with 3000 mAh battery. This is 10% less than it’s predecessor Redmi 5 which has 3300 mAh battery.
But considering the display size, 3000 mAh battery isn’t bad and this will reduce the phone’s weight as well.
RAM and Memory:
Redmi 6 comes in 2 variants – 3 GB + 32 GB and 4 GB + 64 GB Ram and memory combinations.
- Device supports face unlock as well. Xiaomi claims that face unlock is assissted by AI and it works while lifting the phone.
- A rear mounted finger print scanner is also enabled.
- Device has micro SD card slot.
- Smartphone runs on all new AI powered MIUI 10.
- Redmi 6 will be one of the very few devices which provides dual camera in budget device segment
- Micro SD card slot provides an extra option for the users
- AI supported face unlock will detect your face while lifting the phone, double tap or tapping power button is not required to start scan your face.
- Price is one of the biggest positive for Xiaomi
What could have been better:
- Redmi 6 is just like Redmi Y2 with a different processor. Both device does not have full HD+ screen. Redmi 6 has only 720p resolution
- No Snapdragon processor which is considered as one of the best for smartphones
- Redmi 6 has 3000 mAh battery which is lesser than Redmi 5 (3300 mAh)
Redmi 6 is still a great budget device to have but if you ask whether you have to go for Redmi Y2, we are blank. Both devices are almost same, with different chipset.
Xiaomi’s Redmi 6A has similar look like Redmi 6, but
- Redmi 6A has only one 13MP rear camera with LED flash and the same 5 MP selfie camera as in Redmi 6
- Rear fingerprint sensor is also missing in Redmi 6A, but has face unlock feature
- Redmi 6A is powered by Octa core 2.0 Ghz Helio A22 chipset.
- Device comes with 2GB of RAM and 16 GB internal memory
- Comes with same 3000 mAh battery similar to Redmi 6.
What we think on Redmi 6A:
- Redmi 6A is the entry level device,
- To reduce the pricing, Obviously the company has to leave the dual camera and finger print
- Xiaomi claims that Redmi 6 and 6A will be lag free even for long term use. So if you are going for entry level smartphone, we do not think any other device has a better specs than this at this price range.
Price and Release date:
Xiaomi has priced the 3GB/32GB version of the Redmi 6 as CNY 799 ($125/ ₹7999) whereas the higher variant 4GB/64GB variant is priced at CNY 999 ($155 / ₹9999).
The Redmi 6A has price tag CNY 599 ($95/ ₹5999).
Both phones will be available for purchase from June 15th in China. No official information yet for the availability in other markets.
Stay tuned for the latest updates.