Huawei is taking the mid range and sub 10K range as serious note which is proven again by launch of Honor 9N. Its launched during an event in India yesterday. The budget phones from Honor the sub brand of Huawei are doing good in the market. With recent launches like 9series, 7 series its so serious on taking Xioami in that range. Huawei Honor 9N is a flipkart exclusive.
Honor 9N- Price and Availability:
- 3GB RAM with 32GB internal memory will be available for Rs.11,999
- 4GB RAM with 64GB internal memory is priced at Rs.13,999
- The top Variant with 4GB RAM and 128GB internal memory is priced at Rs.17,999
Available colors: Robin Egg Blue, Lavender Purple, Sapphire Blue and Midnight Black
Honor 9N stand alone Features:
There are few interesting tweaks and settings to give more in depth use of OS like fingerprint sensor, face unlock with protect mode and ride mode.
Honor uses fingerprint for many actions. The fingerprint sensor at the back can be used to silence the alarm.
The face unlock is very quick and comes with privacy guard. When you lift your phone, it won’t show notifications until it recognize you.
Talking about the ride mode ,it answers the call automatically without letting you know and the other person know that you are riding the bike. Its also adds an option to the other person to press “1” if it is urgent and notifies you about the call.
GAME SUITE & GPU Turbo Boost:
This will enhance the performance when a person is playing game; in addition, it will mute the notifications from appearing but alert you through sound.
Party mode enables you to connect multiple Huawei phones together to play same music at a time.
With Notch in the display become so evident Huawei 9N also follows the same design pattern. Honor 9N comes with 5.84inch full HD+ IPS display with 19:9 aspect ratio, a notch and 1080×2280 pixel resolution. With a screen to body ratio of 79%. There is an option to hide the Notch if you are the one not a fan of Notch.
Honor 9N is powered with Huawei in-house processor kirin 650 SoC. Its internals storage is expandable upto 256GB via Micro SD card.
- The device sports a dual rear camera setup with 13MP + 2MP combination. The 2MP camera acts as a depth sensor at rear for bokeh effect .
- 16Mp front facing camera for selfies with AI beautification mode Which yet your pictures look stunning even in low-light conditions as you click them using the 16 MP ISO-enhanced Front Camera. Front Portrait mode is also available.
The 4-in-1 Light Fusion Technology lets you take beautiful pictures even in the dark. You can also utilize the Smart Portrait Mode to click appealing pictures.
- Powered by the decent 3000 Mah battery but it lacks fast charging.
- Has Dual hybrid sim slot supports upto 256 GB micro SD card
- Runs on a Customized EMUI 8.0 OS based Android 8.0 Oreo and has 4G with VoLTE support
- Bluetooth 4.2 Low energy,
- GPS with A-GPS, GLoNASS, WIFI 802.11
- Micro USB (Type C support is a miss)
Thanks to Phone Arena for sharing the bench mark score. As we see the bench mark score results below from Geekbench and Antutu , Honor 9 beats it’s rival Redmi note 5 in all the tests but fails to it’s own friend Honor 9 Lite. Honor 9 Lite has slightly better score than Honor 9N in all the tests
This proves that Honor 9N can beat Redmi note 5 in performance.
Verdict: Good in this range
Beebom has done immense gaming in the Honor 9N with Asphalt 8, PUBG and Taken 3. Here is the feedback for each games.
- No much frame drops
- Done a decent job throughout the game
- The Game performance reduces when the battery goes down. This may be due to the measure that EMUI takes to conserve the battery usage.
Verdict: Has done a pretty decent job.
- Game itself loaded with the lowest possible graphics setting
- Few frame drops noted but not much
- Average performance noted
- Highly pixelated during during driving and running in the games.
Verdict: Average performance. But we can expect the same from a mid range device for a ~3GB game
- Tekken 3 needs more speed and even micro seconds lags will affect the result. Considering this factor the device hasn’t done a decent job.
- Frame drops were clearly visible.
Final Verdict: Average (but decent in this price range)
After played lot of games, the device has been rated as average. If you are serious about high graphcocs gaming , then Honor 9N may not be your device .
On the battery life test from Digit, here is our take away
- The phone ran for about four and a half hours before PCMark test crashed at the end of the test.
- In day to day usage, that involves listening to about 3 hours of music, watching 2 of videos and juggling email and Instagram accounts, the device provides an average life. Comparatively Other devices with a similar battery capacity provided better battery life.
- The lack of fast charging is also a big lot down take. The device took almost 110 minutes to go from 0 to 100 percent charge.
Let’s see how good Honor 9N’s camera is .
Camera is pretty decent and actually good in day time as per digit.
- Provides rich color and quick focus without any shutter lag.
- The colours and contrast are good with fair dynamic range is fairly.
- Overall the camera performs decent in day light.
- Optical Image stabilization(OIS) is missing and EIS does the taks for Honor 9N.
- One issue with Honor 9N’s camera would be it’saggressive JPG compression algorithm. The device aggressively compression the photo that obviously saves space but by sacrificing detail. However, this is now a common problem in most of the mid range devices.
Here is where the Honor 9N fails miserably. In the low light the photos are below average. We can see loss of sharpness and color with very reduced dynamic range.
16 MP selfie camera with portrait mode really does a decent job . The images are impressive and comes out similar to the primary camera in day light with the same contrast and color. However low light issue continues in front camera as well which is not upto the mark.
So how the device looks in hand ? Here is the one of the expert’s hands-on video with Honor 9N
- Honor has done Pricing right.
- Full HD screen display with Notch at a mid range price is an added advantage
- Additional useful features like Game mode, Driving Mode.
- Decent Camera with AI features.
- Face unlock with Protect.
- No fast charging and average battery life
- No information about the corning Gorilla glass protection
- Many user are not fan of the EMUI OS.
- Average low light camera
Honor 9N with glass in black feels premium in hand and with an older Kirin 659 processor , the device does a decent performance. Full HD screen is an added advantage and the camera did good in day light. AI feature is a welcome move and portrait mode in selfie is also a rare one in mid range device.
However the device failed in Battery life (If you are a heavy user) and an average low light camera. As a mid range device provided at this price level, Honor 9N is definitely a decent one to go for.